‘Difficult Time’ For Australia-Israel Relations Amid Fresh Diplomatic Row

3

Australia Summons Israeli Envoy Over Decision Not To Prosecute Gaza Aid Worker Deaths

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong has condemned Israel’s decision not to pursue criminal proceedings over the 2024 Gaza strike that killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other World Central Kitchen employees, saying the move has put bilateral ties through a “difficult time”.

Australia summoned Israeli ambassador Hillel Newman on Thursday after the Israeli military said it had found no grounds to launch a criminal investigation into the April 1, 2024 attack. “We have an Australian humanitarian worker who was killed not on the first strike, but in the context of three separate strikes on a humanitarian convoy,” Wong told reporters in Canberra after meeting Newman.

Wong said she was “outraged” by Israel’s decision and had instructed Australia’s ambassador to Israel to convey Canberra’s concerns directly to the Israeli government. “This decision falls far short of the accountability we expect,” Wong said, adding that the Australian government was considering its next steps.

The Israeli military said on Wednesday that its review had found no basis for opening criminal investigations into the deaths of the seven World Central Kitchen workers, who were delivering food and humanitarian supplies in Gaza.

Frankcom, 43, was killed when Israeli strikes hit the clearly marked aid convoy. The other victims were from Poland, Britain, Palestine, the United States and Canada. Israel had previously described the incident as a “grave mistake” and dismissed two officers, saying the strikes violated its rules of engagement.

An Australian government review published in August 2024 found “serious failures” in the Israeli military’s procedures and a major breakdown in situational awareness. Led by former Australian Air Force chief Mark Binskin, the review concluded that the convoy was not deliberately targeted but found failures in coordination, communication and information-sharing contributed to the fatal misidentification of the vehicles.

The review also found that the three vehicles were hit in quick succession, with the strikes occurring roughly two minutes apart. Wong had previously vowed to press Israel for full accountability over what she called the “inexcusable” deaths, including any appropriate criminal charges.

The killings triggered international condemnation and intensified concerns over the safety of humanitarian workers in Gaza, where aid organisations continue to face major challenges delivering food and other essential supplies.

Australia has repeatedly called for greater protection of aid workers and civilians and urged Israel to ensure its accountability process is transparent. Wong said Canberra was now weighing further action following Israel’s decision not to open criminal proceedings.

Comments are closed.