Syria Tells Trump Israel Strike Was Unjustified as Turkey Military Row Escalates

8

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani has told the Trump administration that Damascus does not trust Israel’s intentions towards Syria, following an Israeli airstrike on a military base that Israel said was being targeted over a possible Turkish military buildup.

Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria on Tuesday, dropping at least eight bombs on runways and hangars. The attack damaged recently repaired infrastructure, but no casualties were reported. Israel told the US administration that the strike was intended to prevent Turkey from establishing a military presence at the site. Israeli officials had raised concerns about a possible Turkish military buildup there.

Syria has rejected that explanation. Al-Shaibani told Axios that Damascus had already informed Israel that there were no plans to establish a permanent Turkish military presence at the base. “There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there,” he said, adding that Syria had no plans to permanently deploy Turkish forces at the facility.

Syria Says Base Was Only Being Repaired

According to Al-Shaibani, the Abu al-Duhur airbase was being repaired after being damaged during the war. The work was intended to restore the facility for use by the Syrian Air Force. He said the base was largely empty, had not been fully restored and was not operational when Israel attacked it. Damascus therefore saw no reason to regard the repairs as preparations for a Turkish military installation.

Turkish military officers had visited the airbase shortly before the Israeli strike. Al-Shaibani said those visits were part of military cooperation, including training and the exchange of expertise.

Israel Says It Had Warned Syria

Israel has maintained that it acted because of concerns about Turkey expanding its military presence in Syria. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Damascus had been warned not to allow a Turkish military presence at the site. Israeli officials also briefed the Trump administration about their concerns before the strike.

Trump confirmed that he had been briefed about the Israeli operation but did not say whether he supported the attack or when he received the briefing.

Damascus Calls For De-escalation

Al-Shaibani said Syria had been communicating with both Israel and the US before the strike and had assured them that the airbase would remain under Syrian control. After the attack, Damascus contacted Washington and other countries to protest. Syria also called for measures to prevent further strikes and said its territory should not be used to resolve broader regional disputes.

Despite the latest tensions, Al-Shaibani said Syria remains willing to hold security talks with Israel.

He said the two countries had spent around a year negotiating a possible security agreement under US mediation. The talks had reportedly produced a framework on paper, but the agreement was never implemented. Damascus, he said, remains ready to return to negotiations provided both sides address their security concerns and any agreement respects Syria’s sovereignty and helps reduce tensions.

Comments are closed.