US-Iran deal talks near conclusion as tensions remain high across region

3

Efforts are underway to finalise a potential agreement between Washington and Tehran, with reports suggesting an announcement could come within hours. According to Al Arabiya, discussions over the text of the deal are continuing as diplomatic efforts intensify.

US President Donald Trump on Wednesday signalled caution despite optimism surrounding the talks. “I’m in no hurry” on an Iran agreement, he told reporters, adding that he was prepared “to give this one shot.” Vice President JD Vance said negotiators had made “a lot of progress” toward a potential breakthrough.

The negotiations come amid heightened regional tensions. Israel’s military chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir said the armed forces remained at their highest level of readiness as Washington and Tehran continued to exchange warnings.

A reported 72-hour diplomatic window has increased pressure on both sides. Trump earlier said Iranian negotiators had been given “two to three days” to conclude a peace agreement aimed at ending hostilities involving Iran.

“We’re going to end that war very quickly,” Trump said, expressing confidence that a deal could have wider economic effects, including on global oil markets. “They want to make a deal so badly,” he added, predicting lower oil prices if an agreement is reached.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi struck a more cautious tone, saying Tehran had learned lessons from previous conflicts and warning that any return to military confrontation would bring “many more surprises.”

Meanwhile, geopolitical activity in the region and beyond continues. Russian President Vladimir Putin is in China for high-level talks with President Xi Jinping as international powers closely monitor developments.

In Lebanon, reports said nine people were killed in Israeli strikes despite an existing ceasefire arrangement.

Separately, Israeli forces intercepted the latest vessel associated with the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla campaign, which sought to challenge restrictions on Gaza and deliver humanitarian supplies including food and medicines. Organisers said it was the 77th vessel stopped under the campaign.

Comments are closed.