Falta repoll today: Security doubled, TMC’s Jahangir Khan withdraws from contest | What to know

5

West Bengal’s Falta assembly constituency is voting again today, May 21, after the Election Commission ordered a fresh poll citing a “subversion of the democratic process” during the earlier election held on April 29.

The initial poll was later annulled following allegations of widespread irregularities and a report by a special observer highlighting serious procedural violations.

Heavy security deployment

The Election Commission has significantly tightened security for the repoll, nearly doubling personnel deployment compared to the earlier election.

A senior poll official said eight Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) personnel will be stationed at each polling booth, up from four during the April 29 polling. Around 35 companies of central forces have been deployed across the constituency’s 285 booths.

Additionally, 30 quick response teams have been placed on standby to handle any disturbances.

Surveillance has also been strengthened. Every polling booth will have two cameras installed inside and one outside, with live webcasting monitored from the offices of the District Election Officer (DEO) and Chief Electoral Officer (CEO). Authorities are also considering drone surveillance. Three election observers have been assigned to supervise the process.

TMC candidate withdraws

Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan withdrew from the contest on Tuesday, linking his decision to a special development package announced for Falta.

“I dreamt that Falta should become golden Falta. The chief minister has said that a special package would be announced for Falta. That is why I am stepping aside,” Khan said.

He added that he was withdrawing to ensure “peace and prosperity” for the constituency.

CM Suvendu Adhikari announces package

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari held a roadshow in Falta on Tuesday and announced a special package for the constituency in the next state budget.

He also promised employment for one family member of each BJP worker allegedly killed in post-poll violence following the 2021 state elections.

Taking a swipe at Khan’s withdrawal, Adhikari said: “Where is self-styled Pushpa? He had no other way, as he won’t get a polling agent.”

The chief minister also claimed voters were witnessing a return of political freedom.

“It feels like a second Independence Day. Voters will get back their voting rights after 10 years and will finally be able to cast their votes freely and fairly,” he said.

BJP predicts decisive victory

BJP candidate Debangshu Panda expressed confidence of a strong result, claiming his party would win by a margin of over one lakh votes.

Panda alleged large-scale irregularities during the previous polling process, including manipulation at booths and voter intimidation.

He said the BJP had demanded repolling in multiple booths after alleging issues such as tampering with party symbols and surveillance irregularities.

Why the Election Commission ordered a repoll

The Election Commission acted after special observer Sujeet Mishra submitted a report citing extensive violations.

According to the report, CCTV footage from several polling stations was either missing or incomplete. At some locations, allegations of intimidation and voter obstruction could not be verified because footage was unavailable.

Where footage was available, the report cited multiple violations, including companions voting on behalf of others, repeated voting by the same individuals, overcrowding inside voting compartments and polling agents allegedly assisting with voting.

The observer concluded that 60 of Falta’s 285 polling stations had been compromised, leading the Election Commission to order fresh voting.

Comments are closed.