FIR Filed in Pellet Gun Case After Rahul Gandhi Stages Dharna

6

Delhi Police has registered an FIR over the alleged use of pellet guns during the July 20 Jantar Mantar protest, hours after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi staged a dharna outside the Parliament Street Police Station seeking action.

The FIR has been registered under Sections 118 and 125 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), which deal with causing hurt or grievous hurt using dangerous weapons and acts that endanger the life or personal safety of others.

The case centres on the complaint of 19-year-old Sahil Lochab, who has alleged that he was hit by pellets during the protest. Gandhi accompanied Lochab to the police station on Friday and demanded that authorities register his complaint.

Gandhi Presses Police for Action

Gandhi had earlier raised Lochab’s case and questioned why an FIR had not been registered despite the teenager’s allegations of serious injuries. After arriving at the Parliament Street Police Station, Gandhi met senior police officials before staging a sit-in outside the DCP office. He had said he would not leave until the case was registered.

Following the FIR, Gandhi described its registration as the “first step of justice”. He alleged that Lochab had suffered around 100 pellet injuries and lost vision in one eye.

Gandhi also alleged that nearly a month had passed before the FIR was registered and claimed that approval for the case came from the Ministry of Home Affairs and Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

Lochab Credits Gandhi for FIR

Lochab thanked Gandhi for backing his demand for action, saying the Congress leader had consistently checked on his health and supported his complaint. Lochab said he had told Gandhi on Thursday that the FIR was still pending. According to him, Gandhi assured him that the case would be registered the following day.

He claimed the police took nearly eight hours to complete the FIR registration process after that assurance.

Police Had Denied Pellet Gun Allegations

The FIR relates to allegations that pellet guns were used during the July 20 protest at Jantar Mantar. Delhi Police had previously denied claims that security personnel fired pellet guns at students during the demonstration. The allegations have also become part of a wider examination of the police response to the protests. A Supreme Court-appointed high-powered committee is looking into claims of excessive and disproportionate use of force.

The registration of the FIR marks a significant development in the dispute, with the allegations now set to be investigated through a formal police case.

Comments are closed.