Ranchi Protest Clash: Several Booked After Demonstration Over Jharkhand HC Exam Cancellation Stay

3

Ranchi Protest Clash: Three FIRs Filed After Row Over Jharkhand HC Exam Stay

Three FIRs have been registered in Ranchi after a clash broke out during a protest against the Jharkhand High Court’s stay on the state government’s decision to cancel several recruitment examinations and appointments. The cases name 15 people and several unidentified individuals.

The protest was organised on August 21 by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, one of the groups leading the recent agitation over alleged irregularities in state recruitment exams. The group had called for demonstrations and effigy burnings targeting Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi across Jharkhand’s 24 districts.

The protest came a day after the Jharkhand High Court stayed the government’s order cancelling recruitments linked to the 11th to 13th JPSC Combined Civil Services exams, Food Safety Officer recruitment, JSSC Combined Graduate Level exam and Child Development Project Officer recruitment.

Clash Erupts In Ranchi

One of the FIRs was based on a complaint by 34-year-old Shahbaz Alam, who alleged that he and his friend Mohd Kaif were confronted by a group of protesters near Albert Ekka Chowk around 7 pm.

Alam claimed that the two were abused and assaulted after questioning protesters who were carrying banners and an effigy and raising slogans against the government. He alleged that around 200-250 people were involved and said police intervened to rescue them.

The complaint also names a coaching teacher and three students, including two women, as people who allegedly instigated the crowd.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has rejected the allegations. Members of the group claimed that police and people allegedly associated with the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha tried to disrupt their march.

A protester alleged that police resorted to lathi-charge after the confrontation and claimed that some injured protesters were later discharged from hospital against their wishes.

Two Other FIRs

The second complaint was filed by Ranchi city Circle Officer Shiv Shankar Pandey, who was deployed as a magistrate during the protest.

Pandey alleged that around 200-250 protesters proceeded without permission and deviated from the designated route. He further alleged that members of the procession misbehaved with a woman and assaulted two men before police intervened.

A third complaint was filed by 28-year-old Ankita Verma, who alleged that members of the procession attacked her after accusing her of belonging to another group.

Police officials said the protesters changed their route midway, resulting in traffic disruption. An officer claimed that the situation escalated when protesters were asked to follow the prescribed route, forcing police to intervene.

JMM Denies Role

The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha has denied any organisational involvement in the clash.

JMM spokesperson Mithlesh Thakur alleged that Opposition workers had been brought to the protest to provoke the agitation. He said the state government had accepted the students’ demands except for a CBI probe and urged protesters to respect the judicial process following the High Court’s intervention.

The incident comes days after students ended their nearly month-long agitation over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand’s recruitment examinations. The Soren government had accepted most of their demands and cancelled 21 recruitment exams. The High Court later stayed that cancellation after candidates challenged the government’s decision.

The latest clash has added fresh tension to the continuing dispute over recruitment exams and appointments in Jharkhand.

Comments are closed.