Brazil Football Body Addresses ‘Boycott’ Calls In India, Confirms Stance On Friendly

3

The proposed Brazil-India friendly in Kolkata is set to go ahead despite calls from a section of Indian football for the match to be boycotted.

Former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia and others have questioned the decision to spend significant funds on the high-profile fixture, arguing that the money could instead be used to strengthen grassroots football and sporting infrastructure. However, the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has indicated that it is not concerned by the criticism and has no plans to change its schedule for the October international window.

CBF Checks Kolkata Pitch

A CBF delegation inspected the playing surface at Kolkata’s Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan on Thursday.

Reports after the inspection raised concerns over low grass density and the need for work on the pitch to minimise potential injury risks. However,  that the observations were part of a routine assessment and had been exaggerated.

The pitch condition is not expected to affect the Brazil-India fixture.

No Change To Brazil’s Plans

The Brazilian federation has also dismissed suggestions that the boycott campaign could influence the match. Sources indicated that the reaction was seen as being linked largely to domestic issues and local politics.

Brazil was reportedly unaware of the All India Football Federation’s decision to withdraw from the inaugural FIFA-ASEAN Cup to accommodate the Brazil friendly. The CBF has not indicated any intention to reconsider the fixture, which has already been officially announced.

Brazil Highlights Indian Fans’ Support

Brazil national team coordinator Rodrigo Caetano said the visit to India would also be an opportunity to acknowledge the country’s passionate support for the Selecao.

“We will face Australia, who qualified from the group stage and were eliminated in the second round, but have shown great improvement. Against India, there’s the technical aspect and a great deal of gratitude to the Indians, who showed enormous affection and support for the Brazilian National Team during the World Cup. So it’s only fair that we go there as a way of thanking them, but also to put on a great performance,” Caetano said.

India Planning Three Friendlies

India are expected to play three friendlies during the October international window. Brazil is confirmed as one of the opponents, while Cape Verde is being considered for another match.

The identity of the third opponent is yet to be finalised, but the Brazil fixture remains scheduled despite the controversy surrounding its cost and India’s decision to withdraw from the regional tournament.

Comments are closed.