A large group of protesters gathered at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar on Friday, challenging the caste-based reservation system and demanding.
That economic condition be given greater importance when deciding who should receive government assistance. The protest was organised under the banner of ‘Reservation Reform Andolan’, led by NEET aspirant Harsh Dubey. Participants, largely from the unreserved category, carried placards and saffron flags and raised slogans including, ‘Reservation for the poor, not for caste.’
What are the protesters demanding?
The protesters said government support for education, scholarships, fee assistance, coaching and other benefits should be based primarily on economic need rather than caste. They stressed that economically weaker people should continue receiving government assistance, but argued that financial circumstances should determine eligibility.
Some demonstrators also called for a creamy-layer provision within reservation policies and sought changes to rules concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
Repeal of SC/ST Act sought
The protesters also demanded the repeal of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
They alleged that the law can be misused against individuals and argued that its benefits do not always reach the most disadvantaged sections. They called on the government to examine the issue and introduce measures to prevent alleged misuse.
Calls for reservation policy review
Several participants questioned whether the existing reservation framework should continue in its current form decades after its introduction. They argued that social and economic conditions have changed and called for a wider debate on whether the system needs to be reviewed.
Their broader position was that economic disadvantage should be addressed through scholarships, fee support, coaching and other assistance without making caste the primary basis for government support.
Opposition to UGC equity regulations
The protesters also opposed the University Grants Commission’s equity regulations, adding the issue to their broader campaign against policies they believe reinforce caste-based distinctions. The Rajasthan-based General Sena and Chanakya Sena, along with Karni Sena, joined the demonstration. Influencer Ajeet Bharti, who has previously spoken about reservation and the UGC regulations, was also present.
Police detain protesters
The demonstration saw heavy security deployment at Jantar Mantar, including barricades and personnel from Delhi Police and the Rapid Action Force. Protesters maintained that the demonstration was peaceful and that they had gathered to put forward their demands.
Several protesters were later detained by Delhi Police. Police said no permission had been granted for a demonstration, protest or procession at Jantar Mantar. An official said an NOC had instead been issued for a peaceful protest at Ramlila Ground, allowing up to 500 people to gather until 4 pm.
The protest has brought renewed attention to demands for changes in India’s reservation system, including greater emphasis on economic disadvantage, a creamy-layer criterion and a review of existing policies.
Comments are closed.