Jharkhand to Scrap JSSC-CGL Exam Amid Ongoing Student Protest

4

Jharkhand to Cancel JSSC-CGL Exam as Soren Announces Probe Into Recruitment Irregularities

Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced that the state government would cancel the JSSC-CGL examination amid a 24-day protest by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams.

Soren said all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd would be cancelled. He also announced the formation of an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal.

The government is also considering implementing the Centre’s Public Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Amendment Bill, 2026, which was passed by Parliament in July. The amended law provides for tougher penalties for organised cheating and examination fraud, including imprisonment of up to 10 years and fines of up to ₹10 crore.

Soren further announced a comprehensive inquiry into examination-related irregularities dating back to 2014.

“Today, the Cabinet decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations as well,” Soren said, adding that the government would examine all alleged errors and irregularities, whether minor or major, since 2014.

He said investigations by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and Crime Investigation Department (CID) had uncovered several serious findings. Since the investigations are still underway, the government would not disclose all details, he said.

According to Soren, some individuals appointed through the CGL recruitment process have been arrested in connection with alleged irregularities in JPSC examinations. He also pointed to what investigators believe could be an interconnected network involving multiple companies that handled examinations at different times.

The investigation will cover examinations conducted from 2014 to the present, the chief minister said.

Students Say Key Demands Still Pending

The government’s announcement has not completely ended the agitation, with student leaders saying several demands remain unresolved.

Student leader Piyush Kumar welcomed the cancellation but described it as only an initial step. He said protesters were still awaiting a decision on their demand for a CBI investigation into the alleged irregularities.

Kumar also referred to the unresolved “11th to 13th” issue and said the protesters would discuss their next course of action before announcing further steps.

“We are not going anywhere,” he said, indicating that the movement would continue until the remaining demands were addressed.

Another student leader, Devendra Nath Mahato, who had been on hunger strike, said the government had taken action on the irregularities and malpractice that had prompted the agitation.

However, he said the protesters could not yet consider themselves completely satisfied because a larger battle for reforms remained.

Mahato thanked the government for addressing some of the demands and said students would continue to push for broader reforms in the education and recruitment system.

Protesters Demand CBI Probe

Job aspirants have been protesting in Jharkhand for 24 days, seeking action over alleged irregularities in multiple recruitment examinations.

One of their main demands has been the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination conducted in September 2024. Protesters have alleged that the question paper was leaked and claimed that as many as 120 of the 135 questions had been leaked.

The students are also demanding comprehensive reforms in the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), along with a CBI investigation into alleged examination irregularities.

The protests have intensified in recent days, with student leaders warning of further escalation if their demands were not addressed.

CID Raids JSSC Office

Amid the agitation, the Jharkhand CID on Monday conducted searches at the JSSC office as part of its investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. CID ADG Manoj Kaushik confirmed that raids were being carried out in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations.

The CID has so far arrested 20 people in connection with the case, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.

Khiangte was appointed JPSC chairman in February 2025 after retiring as Jharkhand’s chief secretary. He was arrested on August 10, a day after all three JPSC members resigned amid mounting protests by recruitment aspirants.

The latest announcements come as the Soren government faces increasing pressure to address allegations of malpractice and restore confidence in Jharkhand’s recruitment examination system.

While the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam marks a significant concession to protesters, student leaders have made it clear that the agitation may continue until their remaining demands, including a CBI probe and broader examination reforms, are resolved.

Comments are closed.